My Brave little Girl


Last time i blogged i was discussing the feeling of worry i was experiencing because my little girl was to undergo some corrective surgery to her foot. As parents we are programmed to protect our children and i knew this operation would be painful, but also necessary.

We set off a little party of three to the hospital – Lyra been nil by mouth in preparation for her operation. My little princess so unaware of the big events of today.

Upon arrival we were shown to a ward where a delightful nurse put us at ease – this still did not stop me bubbling like a baby myself. Our little star was full of smiles throughout. Once all formalities had been performed we were free to go and play yay!

There were two different rooms one playroom for before operations and one for after. The room steadily filled up with other parents and children here for other types of surgery. Parents looking anxious clutching at small overnight bags and children dressed in pj’s playing – as children do. 

We were made dinner on plastic plates by a young girl and Lyra was chatting to a wee girl who was busy at the arts and craft table. As the morning went on names were called and the children filtered out of playroom one to have their procedure. We were given a rough guide as to when we would be taken and as the clock slowly ticked away I knew our time was nearly upon us. 

Lyra began getting very fractious missing her regular feeds and snacks of the day and general tiredness was overtaking her small frame. She was wanting the comforting milk from me and I was not allowed to give her any – heart breaking. She settled for a while in her daddy’s arms but her rest did not last long. I took her a wee walk up and down the length of the playroom and she let sleep win. 

A nurse came in and said her name. My heart jumped – it was time. Seeing her little tiny self held in her daddy’s strong arms I thought I would be hysterical but somehow i knew she would be ok. I found comfort in another mother who had been through this with her son on various occasions and her kind words of reassurance I will never forget.

She was sleeping soundly under the safe watch of nurses and the team looking after her. This gave us the chance to stretch our legs and get some fresh air and pick up a wee token   for being such a brave girl.Image


After some soggy sandwiches purchased in a garage on a way to the hospital that morning, a wee flick through a magazine and some banter with my husband to lighten the atmosphere and worry- which was so evidently spread across my brow she was in recovery- all was ok. 

Filled with dread of how she would be – screaming in pain etc I went through to my wee star. Lying in her Daddy’s arms a small whimper coping with everything around her- my brave little girl. Famished from fasting for her operation i was keen to feed her. Accomodating post operation equipment and a large bandaged foot was a new nursing experience for us both but such a rewarding experience – the nurse congratulated me that this was thee best medicine she could have 🙂Image


She was sleepy but within half an hour was back to her usual cheeky playful self. All that worry and heartache for nothing. It is amazing just how much that children can cope with, even better than their parents. I am thankful that she is ok and pleased to live in a country where she was able to get the corrective treatment she needed. 

I thank Mr Watson and his team at Yorkhill hospital for looking after my family forever in your debt X


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s